NEWS & PRESS
Apply for private hire vehicle license (Stansted Minicabs)
Any vehicle that seats up to eight passengers and is available for hire with a driver requires a private hire vehicle (PHV) licence. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to apply for a licence.
PHV License Criteria
The Vehicle must meet the following criteria in order to apply for PHV License:
- Vehicles that are already licensed must be no older than 10 years at the time of licensing.
- From January 1, 2018 all PHVs Licensed for the first time must have a euro 6 petrol or diesel engine, or a Euro 4 petrol-hybrid engine in order to meet new emission requirements.
You must make a booking to have your vehicle inspected. The method through which you book your vehicle inspection will depend on the licensing and ownership status of your vehicle.
New to licensing:
- If you are the owner or registered keeper of a private hire vehicle that has never been licensed in London and wish to make a booking online, you will either need to create an online account or use your existing account of you already have one.
- During the booking process, you will need to provide information about your vehicle. Please ensure you have your V5/log book readily available for this.
- You can book your inspection by calling 0343 222 5555 (TfL call charges apply) or if you are the owner or registered keeper of a single vehicle you can book your inspection slot through your online account
- If you have applied or renewed your private hire driver licence online, you will have an online account already set up. Please log in to your account and your vehicle licence will already be listed under the vehicle or licences tab. You do not need to create another account.
- If you cannot see your vehicle licence through your online account please call 0343 222 5555.
- If you do not already have an existing online account you can create one by going to our account page. You will be required to provide unique information regarding your vehicle licence which can be found on your renewal letter or obtained by calling 0343 222 5555.
Retests and Refunds
- If you would like to book a retest (within 28 days of the first inspection) you can do so by calling 0343 222 5555 or your online account.
- If you would like to request a partial refund you can call 0343 222 5555
You will need the following original documents as they need to be presented when you take your vehicle in for inspection:
- Existing PHV vehicle licence (if applicable)
- V5c DVLA Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Hire and reward insurance documents
- MOT certificate issued within the last 14 days
- Vehicle modification documents
- Any other relevant documentation relating to the vehicle, where appropriate, such as Voluntary Individual Vehicle Approval (VIVA)
- Application fee £84 (non-refundable)
- Grant of License fee £56